Mandarin oranges and their growing popularity
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The US Department of Agriculture projects an 8 percent increase in mandarin orange and tangerine production this year. Two-thirds of the crop comes from California.
An orange store in Northwest Fresno freshly picks mandarin oranges and tangerines because they are constantly re-stocked due to their high demand.
Idali Martinez said children have spurred the popularity of these sweet fruits.
"Parents go for what the kids want and if the kids want mandarins, that's what the parents are going to get for their kids and themselves," Martinez said."Compared to apples and oranges the smaller mandarins are more kid friendly. They're pretty much ready to eat."
Martinez said they're easy to peel, seedless and very good for kids.
The US Department of Agriculture forecasts a record high harvest this year, 427,000 tons from California alone. In 2010, mandarins were grouped into a miscellaneous category with pomelos, tangelos and grapefruit. Growers had simply stepped up production.
Fred Rinder said in one year it came from miscellaneous to number 12.
"I fully expect as we gather information for the 2012 crop report, I wouldn't be surprised to see it jump into the top ten," Rinder said."Over the years we have seen many growers pulling out other crops to plant mandarin trees. They'll also pull out vineyards, stone fruit so we've seen these conversions going on."
ag report, mandarin, orange, citrus, tangerine, ag watch, dale yurong
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos