Valley citrus escapes widespread freeze damage
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The effects of this month's Valley freeze are still being felt by some local citrus growers, but it's not all bad news.
Earlier this month local growers used wind and water to save their citrus crops during the coldest time of the year. Two weeks since those freezing temperatures, agriculture officials now believe most citrus growers dodged widespread frost damage.
"Most of those damaged fruit is going to fall to the ground. You're still going to have a great pack and tasty fruit in the container," said Les Wright, Fresno County Department of Agriculture.
Wright said the freeze only damaged 3 percent of the fruit this year. Ironically, cold temperatures helped navel oranges thicken up rinds to protect them from the recent deep freeze. "Right now you can't look at a piece of fruit and see internal damage."
Wright is confident most of the Valley's citrus crop will be ready for grocery store delivery without a price spike. But that can't be said for all of our local crops.
"There's a lot of young lettuce out there that might've gotten damage. I noticed they had plastic over it and that helped I'm sure," said Wright.
With temperatures not predicted to dip into the 20's again anytime soon, Valley farmers are expecting to head into the picking season without hitting any more sour notes.
ag report, citrus, lettuce, orange, lemon, mandarin, ag watch
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released 25 min ago
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire