Bovine Tuberculosis detected at Tulare County dairy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) has confirmed the detection of Bovine tuberculosis (TB) in a dairy herd in Tulare County.
Officials say they are working closely with the dairy farmer and his veterinarian to implement control strategies to eradicate the disease.
Officials say the diagnosis of TB was made after a suspicious mass was detected in a cow during routine slaughter inspection. They say after TB was detected in the first cow, they began testing herds that may have come into contact with the diagnosed cow, and that work led to the detection of TB in the Tulare County herd.
CDFA says Bovine tuberculosis does not threaten the quality and safety of milk and meat products in California. Almost all milk sold in California is pasteurized to destroy organisms that could be harmful to humans, including TB organisms. The state's raw milk dairies are regularly tested for TB. All cattle processed for meat are inspected for signs of TB infection and rejected if they show signs of the disease.
CDFA also said Tuberculosis is a chronic, slow-spreading disease that can remain undetected for years. Infected animals, even those that appear healthy, can spread infection to other animals.
beef, dairy, cattle, tulare, ag watch
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt in Valley
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Valley Works: Educational partnership providing opportunities
- FPU hopes Wilson is answer for women's hoops
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs
- Valley gets cutting-edge way to treat skin blemishes
- Search for new Fresno State president wrapping up
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos