Growers aren't too worried about rain
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Valley farmers welcome the rain and the chance for more snow.
Bright pink and white blossoms are beginning to pop in local orchards. The pretty colors help create the Valley's unique ag landscape.
But Fresno County Farm Bureau Executive Director Ryan Jacobsen says the fruit and nut bloom is in its early stages. "We are seeing some of early tree fruit varieties that are just beginning and some of very early almonds that are just starting the popping phase.
Jacobsen said with so few trees in blossom at this point the threatening skies won't pose too much of a problem. If a big storm hit in three weeks when the orchards were in full bloom then we could see some crop problems. "Number one, it's the rainfall that affects the petals and blossoms and can definitely knock them off the tree, and number two, if you get too cool temperatures the bees aren't flying."
A lot of trees still haven't pushed out their blossoms so the rain is actually a welcome sight for many farmers and growers. "We're severely deficient on rainfall and snow pack right now so every little storm is needed because that window is shrinking very quickly now between now and April 1st when we typically get most of our rain," said Jacobsen.
The timing is very good with so many tree buds yet to break.
ag report, almonds, ag watch
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals