Warm weather has bees working overtime
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- There's a buzz in the air around Merced County almond orchards thanks to the very active bees.
Larry Viani says the warm weather has them working long hours.
"Usually you can walk by or drive by, this year don't even try, they are just all out. Those hives warm up, they have like a little thermometer, at 52 degrees they come out and they stay out until it gets back to that temperature, or dark," Larry Viani of Viani Farms said.
"The earlier you get the tomatoes in the ground, the earlier your crop comes off and the price is better. Plus, if you can get the crop in the ground as early as this without frost, then it's more beneficial," Nelson Porath of Merced County said.
Farm adviser Scott Stoddard says these conditions make it easy to control how much water the plants get through irrigation.
"It not only applies to these vegetable crops, but there's a lot of agronomic crops, cotton, corn as well that actually benefit from warm, dry springs," Stoddard said.
But many growers are concerned about a lack of water in the months ahead which could prove to be a very pricey problem. They're hoping this warm weather will give way to a wet April.
"let's hope for that, otherwise they're going to cut us back quite a bit, so the water situation will hurt us," Viani said.
ag report, merced, merced county, ag watch, sara sandrik
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Accuweather Forecast
59 min ago