Fresno State's famous sweet corn went on sale
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Friday morning, Fresno State's famous sweet corn went on sale. The store sold 6,200 ears of corn in the first hour.
The opening day of sweet corn sales drew a big crowd to Fresno State Friday morning.
The sweet corn craze began at 7:00 a.m., with customers heading straight for those bins to get their hands on the freshly picked sweet corn, which sold for 99-cents for three ears.
"It's like the black Friday of agriculture, like oh my god, wrapping up around and wrapping around," said Kimberly Trejo. "It's like this is target."
Longtime customers say the corn is the sweetest in the Valley and the freshest. It was picked just hours before the sale.
"It's nothing like you can get at a grocery store, it's sweeter," said Robert Tate. "You only have to cook it two or three minutes."
Fresno State grows the corn right on campus, we asked how students grow such sweet corn.
"It's a lot of dedication, a lot of hard work," said Preston Farris. "A lot of love goes into it. Exact formulas I can't let go of, but it's a lot of hard work."
Students say the soil, nutrients and irrigation also help cultivate the sweet corn that many have come to eat, and love.
"Some will be boiled, some will be roasted," said Kimberly Trejo. "I bought about 50, but I'm going to give some of it to my brother and sister that live out of town, so a little reminder of home."
"I really love that we've become a tradition in people's lives," said Jodi Raley. "It's really nice to see familiar faces come year after year."
This year's sale took place in the new Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market. Employees say the new store helped make the customer experience easier with more registers and room for shopping.
And if you missed out on the corn craze on opening day, they say have no fear, they will have corn in stock through Labor Day.
Proceeds from the corn sales go directly back to the Jordan College of Agriculture.
ag report, ag watch, amanda venegas
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000 4 min ago
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- Holiday season cookies and cocktails
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos