Sunflower season underway in Yolo County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The bright flowers don't only look good, but they're one of California's food crops.
Sunflower seeds are used in snacks and also pressed into oils. Seeds that are not consumed in the U.S. are sold overseas -- mainly to supplement sunflower crops in Russia and the European Union.
Yolo County alone produces more than $19-million worth of sunflower seeds.
ag report, ag watch
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times