Large quarantine issued in Tulare County due to citrus pest
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A quarantine zone of 178 square miles has been issued in Tulare County after Asian Citrus Psyllids (ACP) were found at three locations near Porterville.
The California Department of Food and Agriculture said the quarantine zone is bordered on the north by Blue Ridge Drive and Campbell Creek Drive; on the west by an area near State Highway 190 and Coyote Dr.; on the south by Avenue 68 near State Highway 65; and on the west by an area near Avenue 104 and Road 192.
The quarantine prohibits host nursery stock from moving out of the area and require that all citrus fruit be cleaned of leaves and stems prior to moving out of the area.
Residents with backyard citrus trees in the quarantine area are asked not to remove fruit from the area.
In addition to Tulare County, ACP quarantines are now in place in Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Imperial, Orange, Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside counties. A total of more than 45-thousand square miles are under quarantine.
The ACP is of grave concern because it can carry the disease huanglongbing (HLB), also known as citrus greening. All citrus and closely related species are susceptible hosts for both the insect and the disease. There is no cure once a tree becomes infected. The diseased tree will decline in health until it dies. HLB has been detected just once in California -- last year on a single residential property in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles County.
ag report, citrus, citrus - lemon, citrus - lime, citrus - mandarin, citrus - orange, citrus - tangerine, ag watch
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions 8 min ago
- Musical mavericks make waves 59 min ago
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7