Armenian community gathers for Grape Blessing festival
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Several gathered for a special blessing Sunday in Downtown Fresno.
The blessing marks the 100th anniversary of the Grape Blessing and Festival. The Fresno Armenian Community says the grape is considered the "queen of all fruits."
It's a tradition that's typically held in August when it's time for seasonal harvesting. The "blessing" serves to bless everyone in the agriculture industry to ensure that the season will bring an abundance of crops.
"I think it's beautiful because it's something that doesn't compete with anyone else. It compliments the fabric of our culture," said Varoujan Dersimonian, chairman.
Sunday morning's blessing was followed by a festival with traditional Armenian food, music, and dancing.
ag report, fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, grape - raisin, grape - table, grape - wine, ag watch
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos