New wrinkle in marketing of prunes
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- For years people enjoyed them only as prunes but now those who grow and market the sweet snack refer to them as dried plums. This year's outlook though is not very good for local growers who were finishing up their harvest.
The shakedown was violent and effective. The shaker and receiver seemed to be stalking the French plum trees growing in an orchard in Burrel in western Fresno County. Harvest was performed with the same powerful machines used to collect pistachios. But Caruthers area grower Matt Efird noticed this year's plum production is way off.
Efird explained, "The factors behind it primarily attributed to that the dry winter that we had and some of the increased temperatures during bloom and so with the poor bloom came the poor fruit set."
Efird grows 160 acres of plums which will be sold on the dried fruit market but he's never seen so little fruit come off the trees. "Up and down the state it's pretty consistent. I think this may be a little more severe. We're looking at 75% off of an average crop for us."
The plums were destined for a Madera dehydrator where natural gas dryers will give them that familiar wrinkled shape. They used to be known only as prunes. But now those in the industry prefer to refer them to as dried plums. Efird's plums are sold under the Sunsweet label. The change in marketing strategy has been a success.
Efird said, "Especially for the younger generation it's getting away from the stereotype that that's for grandpa and grandma. It's actually a super fruit and healthy for you."
The fruit was sized right there in the orchard. Plums which were too small fall through the sorter and onto the ground.
ag report, ag watch, dale yurong
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe