USDA grant benefits Valley growers
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Valley farmers are among those who will benefit from an $18.2 million grant from the US Department of Agriculture. The funds are designed to strengthen the market for California-grown specialty crops.
For the very first time figs were included in the USDA specialty crop grant. California Fig Advisory Board CEO Karla Stockli said the $237,000 grant will be used for a comprehensive ingredient program.
The board will use the money to reach out to chefs, bakers and food scientists. The idea is to encourage them to try fig paste, powder and concentrate in their dishes.
Stockli explained, "We want to get into high value specialty food categories like the sauces, the chutneys, the condiments and things that you see in the retail markets that are exploding. That's where we see great value because of the versatility of figs, the great flavor."
The USDA grant funds will be used for everything from food safety measures for leafy greens to marketing for crops like pistachios. 65 projects were approved.
California Grape and Tree Fruit League president Barry Bedwell said, "When you talk about fruits and vegetables, dried fruit, nuts, horticulture, nurseries, all of those are specialty crops that look at portions of the farm bill like these specialty crop block grants as being a means to produce some very important projects."
Bedwell said all of the projects are designed to increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables.
ag report, ag watch, dale yurong
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Family of boy who died in Los Banos DUI...
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos