Cockroach infestation shuts down Foster Farms' plant in Livingston
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The U.S. Department of Agriculture has temporarily suspended operations at the Foster Farms' plant in Livingston because of a cockroach infestation.
The suspension comes after a USDA investigation of three Foster Farms plants in Central California, including the one in Livingston over a nationwide salmonella outbreak that sickened more than 400 people.
We're told the suspension will remain in effect until Foster Farms provides adequate written assurances of corrective and preventative measures to ensure that meat and poultry products will be produced under sanitary conditions.
Foster Farms released the following statement to Action News:
STATEMENT FROM FOSTER FARMS REGARDING LIVINGSTON FACILITY
January 8, 2014
This morning, Foster Farms temporarily stopped operations at its Livingston, Calif., fresh chicken production facility to allow for enhanced sanitizing to take place. The plant treatment took place this afternoon and the company expects to fully resume operation once approved for inspection by FSIS. Food safety is Foster Farms' highest priority and the company took action immediately upon learning of any concern. This is an isolated incident; no other company plants are affected. Today's treatment is expected to fully resolve this incident.
Foster Farms is working in cooperation with the USDA-FSIS to monitor and further reduce Salmonella levels at all stages of production. A series of new, multi-step processes for salmonella control have been developed by the company with the input of national food safety experts The company is leading a specialized U.S. poultry industry working group dedicated to further reducing Salmonella during the second stage of processing. Foster Farms has formed a Food Safety Advisory Board comprised of leading national food safety experts to validate best practices, evaluate emerging technologies and to help guide the company's food safety systems on an ongoing basis.
ag report, ag watch, linda mumma
- Officer-involved shooting in Northeast Fresno 28 min ago
- Man shot in upper torso in Parlier; 1 person detained 7 min ago
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno 46 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Large fire guts warehouse in Fresno County
46 min ago