Farmers eye USDA drought relief
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Farmers and ranchers now have 20 million dollars in available drought aid. The US Department of Agriculture is offering the assistance but some farmers are less than enthusiastic with the plan.
An underground well serving a Fresno county almond orchard was so dry water had to be trucked in to irrigate the young trees. Farmers and ranchers hurt by the worsening drought learned US Ag Secretary Tom Vilsack made 20 million dollars available for water conservation assistance.
Vilsack explained, "It will be focused on improving irrigation efficiency, providing producers resources to stabilize fallowed ground that can't be farmed and to assist with watering facilities and grazing distribution."
Farmers must apply for assistance through the National Resources Conservation Service by March 3rd.
The funds could help farmers put in drip irrigation and help them disc unused land. But as more wells run dry Sanger grower Manuel Cunha believed the money could be better spent on well drilling.
Cunha said, "I'm hoping that USDA will give NRCS that flexibility to say Mr. Farmer you can use it for helping deepen your well. You can use it to help put a bigger pump on."
Congressman Jim Costa of Fresno called the USDA conservation funds the first of several steps to assist farmers. He said, "It will give us more tools to be able to try to mitigate this catastrophe."
But Cunha said the funds don't address farmers' immediate needs. "The farmers are going to jump on something that has real meaning, not that this doesn't but I think our farmers aren't gonna jump on this if it's only used for drip irrigation."
Valley growers would like to see President Obama declare a drought disaster in California. They say that would free up more federal funds and help move more water to farms.
drought, water, california water, ag report, ag watch, dale yurong
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices...
13 min ago