Alleged thief returns to store to report missing car
GLENDORA, Calif. -- A suspected thief called even more attention to himself after trying to rip off a Glendora Walmart store.
On Monday, Cloyd Plumenof thought he had Walmart scammed. Officials said a surveillance video showed the 32-year-old Corona resident grab a $300 computer, then head straight to the register and show a receipt.
"He had an old receipt that he had and went into the store and alleged that the computer that he had with him was actually purchased that day with an old receipt," said Lt. Tim Staab of the Glendora Police Department.
The clerk allowed the man to leave. The suspect left holding his new computer in one hand and his old receipt in the other hand. He headed straight for his car to get away, but his car wasn't there.
"We received a call from a repo company. Unbeknownst to the suspect, a repo company had been following him all during that day and when he parked it in that Walmart parking lot, his car actually got repossessed," said Staab.
The suspect headed back into Walmart to report that his car had been stolen.
But Walmart security had been tracking Plumenof's suspicious behavior and cops were already on their way to arrest him for burglary.
"His middle name was probably moron. Who in their right mind would do what he did?" said shopper Jeff Sanchez.
"What an idiot. I mean, if you're going to steal something and then run out and call the cops on the fact that you got your car stolen, you deserve to go to jail twice," said another shopper, Karen Vega.
"John Wayne once said 'life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid,'" said Staab.
Officials said Plumenof has a long criminal past, including several counts of burglary.
caught on tape, bizarre, elex michaelson
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos