Wrong-way elderly driver wreaks havoc on a SoCal freeway
FRESNO, California -- A terrifying scene was caught on tape on a southern California freeway as a truck drives on the wrong side of the road.
The driver of the white pick-up was driving the wrong way on Interstate Five near San Diego.
A passenger in a car on the other side of the freeway had just started recording on his cell phone, when the truck hit a piece of concrete on the center divider, head-on.
The pick-up spun into traffic lanes, where it caused another four cars to crash.
Traffic on I-5 was closed for about two hours. Remarkably no one was seriously hurt.
The 83-year-old driver was cited for driving the wrong way and driving with a suspended license.
Investigators said he appeared to have been confused and couldn't explain how he ended up driving against traffic.
san diego, caught on tape, bizarre
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting 56 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Chowchilla
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office 27 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building