Bungee jumper falls 365 feet into crocodile infested water
A once in a lifetime experience nearly turned into a life-ending ordeal for one woman. She was high atop a bridge in Africa ready to bungee jump over crocodile infested waters when something went terribly wrong, and a camera caught the whole event.
It's the experience of a lifetime that almost killed Erin Langworthy. The unthinkable happened, 365 feet above the water. Erin's bungee cord snapped, sending her plummeting head-first into the crocodile-infested waters of the Zambesi River in Zimbabwe.
"It went black, straight away, and I felt like I'd been slapped all over," said Langworthy.
The icy water helped bring Erin out of her daze. It was then the real fight for survival began.
With her legs still tied, she was sucked downstream towards the raging rapids, the trailing bungee cord snagging on rocks, dragging her under.
"I actually had to swim down and yank the bungee cord out of what it was caught into."
Struggling to keep her head above water, Erin made it to rocks near the riverbank. It was there she waited for rescue. "When I was first pulled out of the water, they put me on my back, and so all the water that I'd inhaled, meant that I couldn't breathe, so, I made them roll me on to my side, and that's when I started coughing out water and blood."
Medevacked to South Africa, the 22-year-old spent a week in hospital, where, covered in bruises, doctors were amazed she suffered no major injuries.
Attempts to contact the bungee company have been unsuccessful, but in an online statement, it maintains its operations are safe, and the broken equipment has been replaced.
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires