Teacher accused of putting kids in "monster closet"
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- A teacher in Texas has been fired for disciplining a student by putting him in a "monster closet." It was the little boy's punishment for laughing in class.
"I don't like going in the closet," Kendrick said. "Because it is scary."
Kendrick, 4, says his teacher put him a dark, janitorial closet and told him there was a monster inside.
The teacher at Varnett Charter School near Houston, Texas put misbehaving children in the closet for five minutes at a time.
According to Kendrick, the teacher's aide kept the closet door closed with her feet while children cried inside. Kendrick says he was so scared he vomited.
Kendrick's mother, Kelicia said, "You are taking a 4-year-old and putting them in a dark closet. That's like torture. That's a torture even to an adult that is afraid of the dark. Who locks anybody in a closet?"
Superintendent Dr. Annette Cluff said, "I was appalled, and because I was not here to immediately investigate that made me more infuriated to know that this had happened."
The teacher and the aide were immediately suspended without pay and the district announced both have been terminated.
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Police investigate deadly Tower District stabbing
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody 38 min ago
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
- Police: Released parole violator shot at officers
- New medical center breaks ground in Visalia
- Fresno City Council votes against planned bike lane
- Overseas lotto scams prey on elderly
- Bob Wills home threatened by development
- New bike trail underpass raises deadly crash questions
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- 5.7 earthquake strikes northeast of Chico
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos