Couple arrested for smuggling baby in luggage
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (KFSN) -- Local newspapers in the United Arab Emirates say authorities are investigating an Egyptian couple who tried to sneak their infant into the Gulf country by hiding him in their carry-on luggage.
Monday's reports say authorities discovered the baby at Sharjah airport when it showed up on an X-ray scan of the bag. Carry-on luggage is typically scanned at Emirati airports on arrival, after passengers have their passports stamped.
The Gulf News says the baby boy had no passport, visa or other documents allowing him entry to the UAE.
The paper and The National daily are quoting police as saying the unidentified parents put the child's life at risk with the scheme. The case is being handed over to prosecutors.
Sharjah officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 58 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 52 min ago
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos