Couple arrested for smuggling baby in luggage
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (KFSN) -- Local newspapers in the United Arab Emirates say authorities are investigating an Egyptian couple who tried to sneak their infant into the Gulf country by hiding him in their carry-on luggage.
Monday's reports say authorities discovered the baby at Sharjah airport when it showed up on an X-ray scan of the bag. Carry-on luggage is typically scanned at Emirati airports on arrival, after passengers have their passports stamped.
The Gulf News says the baby boy had no passport, visa or other documents allowing him entry to the UAE.
The paper and The National daily are quoting police as saying the unidentified parents put the child's life at risk with the scheme. The case is being handed over to prosecutors.
Sharjah officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword 46 min ago
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Sikh man who was beaten shares his story
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect...
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos