Couple arrested for smuggling baby in luggage
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (KFSN) -- Local newspapers in the United Arab Emirates say authorities are investigating an Egyptian couple who tried to sneak their infant into the Gulf country by hiding him in their carry-on luggage.
Monday's reports say authorities discovered the baby at Sharjah airport when it showed up on an X-ray scan of the bag. Carry-on luggage is typically scanned at Emirati airports on arrival, after passengers have their passports stamped.
The Gulf News says the baby boy had no passport, visa or other documents allowing him entry to the UAE.
The paper and The National daily are quoting police as saying the unidentified parents put the child's life at risk with the scheme. The case is being handed over to prosecutors.
Sharjah officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos