Couple arrested for smuggling baby in luggage
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (KFSN) -- Local newspapers in the United Arab Emirates say authorities are investigating an Egyptian couple who tried to sneak their infant into the Gulf country by hiding him in their carry-on luggage.
Monday's reports say authorities discovered the baby at Sharjah airport when it showed up on an X-ray scan of the bag. Carry-on luggage is typically scanned at Emirati airports on arrival, after passengers have their passports stamped.
The Gulf News says the baby boy had no passport, visa or other documents allowing him entry to the UAE.
The paper and The National daily are quoting police as saying the unidentified parents put the child's life at risk with the scheme. The case is being handed over to prosecutors.
Sharjah officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos