New York Bus driver breaks child's fall from 3rd story window
NEW YORK -- It is a miracle a 7-year-old girl wasn't badly hurt or even worse when she fell from her third story apartment.
Her guardian angel was standing underneath to catch her, and that angel is a New York city bus driver.
Cell phone video taken by a resident of the Coney Island houses shows a 7-year-old girl jumping up and down on an air conditioning unit in a third-story window.
WARNING - VIDEO COULD BE SEEN AS GRAPHIC: WATCH VIDEO
A man standing nearby quickly raced underneath her as the young girl slipped and fell. She tumbled down three stories before he broke her fall and she landed in the bushes below.
"I saw her in the hospital, she doesn't have a scratch on her," Good Samaritan Steven St. Bernard said.l
The 52-year-old MTA bus driver and father of four says he was just in the right place at the right time.
"It feels good now to know that I did something," he said.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that the 7-year-old girl is autistic and managed to perch herself on the AC by pushing through one of the accordion pieces that holds the unit to the window.
"She did hit the bushes and the ground a little, but not straight on because of his arms," eyewitness Latasha Marcus said.
St. Bernard's has a 7-year-old daughter of his own. He tore a tendon in his left arm saving the girl from more serious injuries.
Police tell Eyewitness News they do not believe the parents of the little girl did anything criminal.
new york city, new york, bizarre
- Deputy-involved shooting in Tulare County 2 min ago
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet 46 min ago
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident