Colorado man awarded $7.2 million for eating popcorn
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- A jury awards a Colorado man millions after finding the snack food he ate every day, made him sick.
Wayne Watson admits he munched microwave popcorn a couple of times a day for years, until his doctor diagnosed him with a rare disease called popcorn lung.
It's usually found in plant workers exposed to high levels of Diacetyl an artificial flavoring used to give popcorn that buttery taste. Watson sued the popcorn maker and the supermarket that sold it -- claiming the companies never warned consumers that Diacetyl was dangerous.
"They thought that no consumer would ever be exposed to enough of it to make a difference," Wayne Watson said. "Well they rolled the dice and they lost."
On Wednesday, Watson, who's lost about 50% of his lung capacity was awarded damages totaling $7.2 million.
Many popcorn manufacturers no longer use Diacetyl in their microwave products.
Glister-Mary Lee, the popcorn maker in this case, issued a statement after the decision noting it has provided "safe, quality microwave popcorn to consumers for two decades."
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Authorities are investigating a homicide in Fresno County
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- Former Bullard Star Taylor Gets Coaching Start at Kerman 28 min ago
- Valley students helping tornado-ravaged town of Moore 44 min ago
- Stand-up paddling is catching on
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror
- Life or death? Jodi Arias jury deadlocked
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Crabtree may have a torn Achilles tendon
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Accuweather Forecast
2 min ago