Sleeping burglar found napping in Texas home during crime spree
HOUSTON -- The search is on for a burglar who hit three homes in north Houston, treating one of them like a hotel. He helped himself to something to eat and then took a nap.
Police say the burglar was scared off by a woman who came home while he was apparently napping inside her house.
Police are urging homeowners in the immediate area around Fulton and Dippings to be on high alert. Officers say they have a burglary suspect apparently roaming the neighborhood, looking for any opportunity to break into homes -- an open window, an unlocked door.
By early Tuesday morning, he had already hit three homes. At the second house the suspect decided to take a load off. He took off his boots and made himself at home. He ate a snack and even laid down to take a nap in a child's bedroom!
When the homeowner came home to find that stranger in her son's bed, she panicked, and then called 911. In the meantime, the suspect made his way to a third house where, to his surprise, the owner was home and came face to face with him.
"I didn't say anything to him. I just started shooting at him," said Benny Demarco. "We'd already talked all we was gonna talk in the garage, when he told me he didn't want me to shoot him."
Demarco fired gun three times. Police say they don't think the suspect was hit. He took off on foot and is still at large. There's no clear description of the suspect available, but police caution residents in the area to be on the lookout.
bizarre, sonia azad
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- 6 missing people found alive in northern Nevada
- Putin vows to beef up Arctic military presence