Sleeping burglar found napping in Texas home during crime spree
HOUSTON -- The search is on for a burglar who hit three homes in north Houston, treating one of them like a hotel. He helped himself to something to eat and then took a nap.
Police say the burglar was scared off by a woman who came home while he was apparently napping inside her house.
Police are urging homeowners in the immediate area around Fulton and Dippings to be on high alert. Officers say they have a burglary suspect apparently roaming the neighborhood, looking for any opportunity to break into homes -- an open window, an unlocked door.
By early Tuesday morning, he had already hit three homes. At the second house the suspect decided to take a load off. He took off his boots and made himself at home. He ate a snack and even laid down to take a nap in a child's bedroom!
When the homeowner came home to find that stranger in her son's bed, she panicked, and then called 911. In the meantime, the suspect made his way to a third house where, to his surprise, the owner was home and came face to face with him.
"I didn't say anything to him. I just started shooting at him," said Benny Demarco. "We'd already talked all we was gonna talk in the garage, when he told me he didn't want me to shoot him."
Demarco fired gun three times. Police say they don't think the suspect was hit. He took off on foot and is still at large. There's no clear description of the suspect available, but police caution residents in the area to be on the lookout.
hot topics, sonia azad
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case