Pit bull saves family and 5 other dogs during house fire
WELLSTON, Okla. (KFSN) -- A 10-year-old pit bull terrier in Lincoln County, Oklahoma is being praised for her heroic actions. She saved two sisters from their burning home.
You'd never know "Baby" is an old dog. Her owners can barely keep up. And, apparently, "Baby's" mind is just as fast as her feet. Early Tuesday smoke and flames filled the family's Wellston home. Rhonda Westenberger and her sister were sound asleep, unaware of the danger until "Baby" sprang to action.
Baby, the pit bull, she went and nudged her and kept touching her. The dog would not stop barking and pouncing until the women woke up. And, when they did, they had just seconds to escape.
"I went back and there were flames shooting down the hallway," said Rhonda. "If baby hadn't woken Evelyn up, I don't think either one of us would have come out of this."
The women ran out but their other five dogs were stuck inside. So, once again, "Baby" came to the rescue.
"And then there was one hiding under the bed, wouldn't come out," aid family member Charles Land. "Baby actually went under there, grabbed it by the neck and dragged him outside."
The family's home of 17 years and everything in it is gone, but the family says their hope is not lost.
"She's always come across to us as one of the family and this just proves it."
As long as they have their family, their Baby, by their side.
"I'm so proud of her," said Rhonda. "She is my hero. She's the hero for all of us."
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 7 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos