Pit bull saves family and 5 other dogs during house fire
WELLSTON, Okla. (KFSN) -- A 10-year-old pit bull terrier in Lincoln County, Oklahoma is being praised for her heroic actions. She saved two sisters from their burning home.
You'd never know "Baby" is an old dog. Her owners can barely keep up. And, apparently, "Baby's" mind is just as fast as her feet. Early Tuesday smoke and flames filled the family's Wellston home. Rhonda Westenberger and her sister were sound asleep, unaware of the danger until "Baby" sprang to action.
Baby, the pit bull, she went and nudged her and kept touching her. The dog would not stop barking and pouncing until the women woke up. And, when they did, they had just seconds to escape.
"I went back and there were flames shooting down the hallway," said Rhonda. "If baby hadn't woken Evelyn up, I don't think either one of us would have come out of this."
The women ran out but their other five dogs were stuck inside. So, once again, "Baby" came to the rescue.
"And then there was one hiding under the bed, wouldn't come out," aid family member Charles Land. "Baby actually went under there, grabbed it by the neck and dragged him outside."
The family's home of 17 years and everything in it is gone, but the family says their hope is not lost.
"She's always come across to us as one of the family and this just proves it."
As long as they have their family, their Baby, by their side.
"I'm so proud of her," said Rhonda. "She is my hero. She's the hero for all of us."
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting 5 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related...
4 min ago