Mark Kelly pulls dog off baby sea lion in SoCal
LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (KFSN) -- Disturbing cellphone video from Laguna Beach shows a dog breaking free from its leash and attacking a baby sea lion.
WARNING: THE CELLPHONE VIDEO IS DISTURBING.
The dog's owner was identified as Claudia Kelly, the adult daughter of former astronaut Mark Kelly. Mark Kelly is seen in the video pulling the dog away from the sea lion. But the sea lion died shortly after the attack on Saturday.
Officials say the sea lion had been tagged earlier in the day as a beached animal in distress.
"It was actually the stress of the attack that killed the sea lion and not the actual dog bites. The wounds from the teeth were only superficial in nature," said Jim Beres with Laguna Beach Animal Control.
Police say no crime was committed. A spokesman for Mark Kelly and his wife, former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, issued a statement calling it "a sad accident."
KABC-TV Los Angeles, CA contributed to this report.
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times