Sober man gets DUI, files lawsuit
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- An Arizona man arrested for drunk driving -- wasn't. Now he's suing the city of Surprise, claiming he was racially profiled.
Officers pulled Jessie Thornton over recently, and officers say he failed a field sobriety test. But when Thornton got to the police station, tests showed he had a blood alcohol level of zero. Officers claimed he appeared to be drunk.
"I take my glasses off and he says, 'you've got bloodshot eyes.' I said, 'I've been swimming at LA Fitness,' and he says, 'I think you're DUI,'" said Thornton. "He (the officer) goes, 'well we're going to do a sobriety test."
Thornton says he believes officers pulled him over because he is African American, and was driving around late at night. But he says he is up late because of his wife's work schedule.
Thornton has now filed a lawsuit against the city. He's seeking $500,000 in damages.
For more information, visit this link http://bit.ly/18pnXaD.
dui, lawsuit, arizona, bizarre
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store 57 min ago
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos