Sober man gets DUI, files lawsuit
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- An Arizona man arrested for drunk driving -- wasn't. Now he's suing the city of Surprise, claiming he was racially profiled.
Officers pulled Jessie Thornton over recently, and officers say he failed a field sobriety test. But when Thornton got to the police station, tests showed he had a blood alcohol level of zero. Officers claimed he appeared to be drunk.
"I take my glasses off and he says, 'you've got bloodshot eyes.' I said, 'I've been swimming at LA Fitness,' and he says, 'I think you're DUI,'" said Thornton. "He (the officer) goes, 'well we're going to do a sobriety test."
Thornton says he believes officers pulled him over because he is African American, and was driving around late at night. But he says he is up late because of his wife's work schedule.
Thornton has now filed a lawsuit against the city. He's seeking $500,000 in damages.
For more information, visit this link http://bit.ly/18pnXaD.
dui, lawsuit, arizona, bizarre
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years