Firebaugh Employer Lays Off 200
FIREBAUGH, Calif. (KFSN) -- A major employer on the valley's troubled west side will be slashing over 200 positions. The layoffs will only add to Firebaugh's unemployment rate, which stands at 31 percent.
That's significantly higher than Fresno county's jobless rate,18.5 percent.
Garguilo incorporated is one of Firebaugh's biggest employers but come June 15 the company will lay off 262 employees, about a third of its work force.
Garguilo officials weren't available for comment but Firebaugh City Manager Jose Ramirez says the layoffs are tied to federal cutbacks in water deliveries to west-side farmers.
"The chronic water crisis out here, this is certainly the result of that," Ramirez said. "I'm sure that they're having a heck of time trying to get enough tomato planted in the ground for the fresh market for the season."
Firebaugh already has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state. Businesses here struggle because people don't have money to spend.
Pharmacist Ron Louie of West-Side Drugs was surprised to hear of the layoffs at Gargiulo.
"Oh I think it will have a big hit on the economy. It will affect especially people with kids who have health plans," Louie said.
With roughly a third of the people in town without work, Ramirez says it's already tough keeping families fed through food vouchers and donations.
"200 jobs is devastating. But for us even one job loss is devastating. In this climate, we need every job we can get."
Ramirez is grateful Garguilo gave advance notice of the layoffs so the city can seek county help for those soon to be unemployed.
firebaugh, economy, business, dale yurong
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach 29 min ago
- Two killed in shooting in Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View' 56 min ago
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit 56 min ago
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed 56 min ago
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman