Texas Roadhouse Opens in NW Fresno
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Valley carnivores have a new place to get their steak fix. Texas Roadhouse opened in Northwest Fresno Monday evening and customers aren't the only ones excited about what the restaurant has to offer.
Big crowds showed up for the restaurant's grand opening. By 5:30 p.m., restaurant goers were told they'd have to wait nearly an hour to be seated. "We've had a great turnout. We're just excited to be a part of Fresno and bring great food to the valley," said Matt Johnson, the restaurant's managing partner.
The restaurant is located at Shaw and Feland Avenues -- but buzz about its grand opening stretched down the street. At Batteries Plus, the owners are hopeful the new restaurant will bring them a bit more exposure. "It will bring people to this side of town. People like to have something new in town. We're excited," said Batteries Plus owner Jenny Wong.
In all, the restaurant hired about 200 people including line-dancing wait staff. Fresno City Council Member Andreas Borgeas said the good news extends beyond those new jobs& possibly to the economy as a whole. "The restaurant industry has been notoriously hit hard with this recession. So when you have someone coming in with the confidence to open that size of a restaurant, the size of Texas Roadhouse, it's a good sign. They've done their studies. They know whether the market can sustain it," said Borgeas.
But amid all the excitement, the owner of nearby business Backyard Spas and Leisure is also a bit anxious. Tom Verduzco is excited about new business but concerned about parking. "I'm hoping it won't affect me too much and keep people away. But I also know it's going to attract a lot more people so hopefully that will help," said Verduzco.
Texas Roadhouse is just one of several new businesses opening along West Shaw in Northwest Fresno. Along a three mile stretch, you'll find a Grocery Outlet and Panera Bread coming to Shaw and Marty.
employment, economy, fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, business, amanda perez
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors 30 min ago
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea 38 min ago
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
31 min ago
- Easy ways to make holiday parties festive
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos