Calif unemployment rate dips slightly in May
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Employment Development Department said last month the rate dropped to 10.8 percent, down from 10.9 percent the previous month.
According to the E.D.D., California employers added more than 33,000 non-farm payroll jobs in May, the largest month-over-month increase nationwide. The largest job gain was in the leisure and hospitality sector, which added 13,000 jobs.
In the rest of the country, unemployment rates rose in 18 U.S. states in May, the most in nine months. Increasing unemployment in more than a third of U.S. states is the latest evidence of a weaker job market.
The Labor Department says unemployment rates fell in only 14 states. That's fewer than the previous month, when rates fell in 37 states. Rates were unchanged in 18 states.
Nationally, the rate rose to 8.2 percent in May from 8.1 percent in April, the first increase in almost a year. Employers added only 69,000 jobs, the fewest in 12 months.
Still, 27 states added jobs in May. California gained the most, adding 33,900. Ohio was next with 19,600.
North Carolina reported the biggest loss, shedding 16,500 jobs. It was followed by Pennsylvania, which lost nearly 10,000.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
employment, economy, fresno county, tulare county, merced, mariposa county, madera county, kings county, business
- Pedestrian killed in HWY 99 hit and run in Fresno 5 min ago
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos