Additional surcharge for Credit Card payments
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The next time you pay with a credit card outside of California it could cost you more.
As of today stores can legally charge you up to four percent more for using your credit card.
Retailers have always had to pay a fee to let you swipe but following a settlement with credit card companies stores can now pass the fee on to you.
Credit.com Chairman Adam Levin said, "This would probably be a greater impact to local merchants."
Some big retailers like Walmart have already announced they won't be passing on the surcharge to customers.
If a store is passing on the fees a sign must be posted in the store.
10 states, including California have already barred retailers from charging the fee.
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk 12 min ago
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit