Warm weather good news for some business
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- This week's warmer temperatures are good news for some Central Valley businesses, which are getting a double dose of benefits from the sunshine.
At Blackbeard's Family Entertainment Center Tuesday evening, there was still plenty of sun -- making conditions perfect for a quick spin. "We painted yesterday because we had more sunlight and today we came out to play miniature golf because the weather was nice and we had extra time between now and dinner," said Kristie Leyba of Fresno.
Managers at Blackbeard's told Action News March's warmer weather marks the beginning of their busiest time of year. "It definitely helps business. People see good weather and they want to come out as opposed to when it's raining and people want to stay at home," said manager Pricilla Tovar.
The same can be said for business at Lowe's in North Fresno. There, the changing weather drives sales in the nursery and lawn care departments. The extra daylight helps, too. "What you'll see is you'll see people shopping later in the day. And it makes for a long shopping day here at Lowe's& it works pretty good," said manager Dale Delmanowski.
Another impact of the changing weather: patio dining. At Dai Bai Dang at River Park, several people could be seen taking advantage of the nice evening with an Asian dinner al fresco. "The rush will be later until people's bodies become accustomed to the time change& so we'll keep the staff on a little later," said Brandon Smith.
While that extra hour may be good for some businesses, there is also growing opposition to Daylight Saving Time. To date, more than 24,000 people have signed a petition on a White House website asking the Obama administration to end what they call an archaic practice that doesn't amount to real energy savings.
business, amanda perez
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe