California unemployment rate falls to 9 percent
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- California's unemployment rate decreased by 9 percent in April, adding more than 10k non-farm jobs.
According to a California Employment Development Department (EDD) report, non-farm California jobs totaled 14,602,200 in April, which is an increase of 10,400 jobs since March 2013, and 443,000 jobs over April 2012.
At the same time, the number of unemployed in California fell by 76,000 in the last month to 1,673,000 -- down by 303,000 when compared with April 2012.
According to the report, seven categories -- construction; manufacturing; trade, transportation and utilities; financial activities; educational and health services; leisure and hospitality; and other services -- added jobs over the month, gaining 23,300 jobs. Construction posted the largest increase over the month, adding 7,400 jobs.
The report said three categories -- mining and logging; manufacturing; and government -- posted job declines over the year, down 14,400 jobs. Manufacturing posted the largest declines on a numerical basis, down by 10,500 jobs -- a 0.8 percent decrease.
Here are the April 2013 unemployment rates by county (not seasonally adjusted):
Fresno County 13.4%
Kings County 13.8%
Madera County 12.4%
Mariposa County 9.3%
Merced County 15.5%
Tulare County 13.7%
employment, economy, business
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Growers watch hourly temps as cold snap approaches
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Blue jean bandits hit Eye Candy Fashion Boutique
- Man and two children killed in Merced fire
- Video: Fresno's Christmas Tree Lane sees big crowds
- Suspect hit in Fresno Co. officer involved shooting
- City of Fresno to open warming center
- 68th annual Candy Cane Lane Parade sees changes
- Defense takes over in Fresno paralegal murder trial
- Pacheco High School founding principal loses battle with cancer
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl
40 min ago