Fresno's Veterans Home holds grand opening
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Friday many came out to celebrate the grand opening of Fresno's Veterans Home. The home is located on California Ave. near Marks in Southwest Fresno. Advocates for the Fresno Veterans Home say after so many challenges the opening is a victory for local vets.
Members from every branch of the military could not be prouder of Fresno's Veterans Home.
"You got everything that a retirement home doesn't have," U.S. Army Veteran Stephan Gonzales said.
U.S. Navy Veteran Barkey Aivazian has applied to get in to the Veterans home. He plans to wait a few more years before moving to the Fresno Veterans Home.
"Eventually, when I'm a widower, you might as well. When I quit driving," Aivazian said.
Eventually 300 veterans will live in the building which took about $250 million to construct. Some of the features include an onsite barber shop, a putting course, a post office and even a bank.
"I think it's really important that there are some things that all of us agree on is worth the investment and this place is worth the investment," Assem. Jim Patterson (R) Fresno said
The plans to build the home were conceived more than a decade ago. However, the opening took longer than expected because of several financial roadblocks.
"There have been many hurdles we had to overcome since this idea was conceived," Rep. Jim Costa (D) Fresno said.
But local advocates didn't give up. On Friday all their hard work paid off and they finally welcomed the first resident's home.
jim costa, jim patterson, fresno southwest, business, mariana jacob
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt 34 min ago
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks