Fresno's Veterans Home holds grand opening
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Friday many came out to celebrate the grand opening of Fresno's Veterans Home. The home is located on California Ave. near Marks in Southwest Fresno. Advocates for the Fresno Veterans Home say after so many challenges the opening is a victory for local vets.
Members from every branch of the military could not be prouder of Fresno's Veterans Home.
"You got everything that a retirement home doesn't have," U.S. Army Veteran Stephan Gonzales said.
U.S. Navy Veteran Barkey Aivazian has applied to get in to the Veterans home. He plans to wait a few more years before moving to the Fresno Veterans Home.
"Eventually, when I'm a widower, you might as well. When I quit driving," Aivazian said.
Eventually 300 veterans will live in the building which took about $250 million to construct. Some of the features include an onsite barber shop, a putting course, a post office and even a bank.
"I think it's really important that there are some things that all of us agree on is worth the investment and this place is worth the investment," Assem. Jim Patterson (R) Fresno said
The plans to build the home were conceived more than a decade ago. However, the opening took longer than expected because of several financial roadblocks.
"There have been many hurdles we had to overcome since this idea was conceived," Rep. Jim Costa (D) Fresno said.
But local advocates didn't give up. On Friday all their hard work paid off and they finally welcomed the first resident's home.
jim costa, jim patterson, fresno southwest, business, mariana jacob
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course 6 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos