Fresno's Veterans Home holds grand opening
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Friday many came out to celebrate the grand opening of Fresno's Veterans Home. The home is located on California Ave. near Marks in Southwest Fresno. Advocates for the Fresno Veterans Home say after so many challenges the opening is a victory for local vets.
Members from every branch of the military could not be prouder of Fresno's Veterans Home.
"You got everything that a retirement home doesn't have," U.S. Army Veteran Stephan Gonzales said.
U.S. Navy Veteran Barkey Aivazian has applied to get in to the Veterans home. He plans to wait a few more years before moving to the Fresno Veterans Home.
"Eventually, when I'm a widower, you might as well. When I quit driving," Aivazian said.
Eventually 300 veterans will live in the building which took about $250 million to construct. Some of the features include an onsite barber shop, a putting course, a post office and even a bank.
"I think it's really important that there are some things that all of us agree on is worth the investment and this place is worth the investment," Assem. Jim Patterson (R) Fresno said
The plans to build the home were conceived more than a decade ago. However, the opening took longer than expected because of several financial roadblocks.
"There have been many hurdles we had to overcome since this idea was conceived," Rep. Jim Costa (D) Fresno said.
But local advocates didn't give up. On Friday all their hard work paid off and they finally welcomed the first resident's home.
jim costa, jim patterson, fresno southwest, business, mariana jacob
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years