Valley retail stores hire for the holiday rush
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Forty percent of retailers plan to hire more employees for the holidays. Retailers like Macy's, Target and Walmart are already in the middle of hiring for the holidays.
Holiday items are on display at the Target store in River Park in North Fresno. But Target is seeking workers to get ready for the traditional rush of shoppers. Julia O'Dea is Executive Team Leader for human resources. She said the store is actively seeking holiday help.
"We're looking to hire about 80 people depending on business needs at that time. Definitely we're excited to bring in new candidates to get them trained and invite them to be part of our team," O'Dea said.
Target is one of several retailers hiring for the holidays. Aleta Wolfe is a Career Counselor at Fresno State. She says some companies used a recent job fair to reach out to students.
"Target and Kohl's and Toys R Us and Buckle, all four of them were here at the event talking about career opportunities but that gave them a head start to talk to students about seasonal as well," Wolfe said.
Wolfe says 40 percent of the students on campus have used the Bulldog Link website to look for work. Other sites like Snagajob are also helpful. At Target you can apply at an in-store kiosk but most retailers steer applicants to their website.
"It makes it challenging too because some of the employers still want that one on one contact but in today's day and age it's the high tech kind of thing," Wolfe said.
In fact, you can apply at Target on your phone.
"For the first time this year we are having a texting campaign. You can text Target Star and include your email address and it will get the ball rolling for your interview," O'Dea said.
O'Dea is encouraged by the fact some seasonal workers have been hired to full-time positions. A Toys R Us spokesperson said the company will hire 150 more employees for its stores in Fresno, Clovis and Visalia.
fresno, employment, good news, central valley, business, dale yurong
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals