Space Heaters Can Add to Energy Costs
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- Sales of space heaters soar in the winter, but can space heaters actually save you money on your energy bills?
You may have seen an infomercial for the Heat Surge Fireplace, or a newspaper ad claiming it will "help home heat bills hit rock-bottom."
"Drastic reduction in my energy bills."
"Dramatically reduced our heating bills."
Consumer reports' Jim Nanni checked out the Heat Surge, which costs $298 and up, if you order what the company calls a "hand-built amish fireplace mantle."
"The Heat Surge is essentially an electric space heater with faux fireplace that's made in China. The fireplace is illuminated by some lightbulbs," said Nanni.
So can the Heat Surge or any space heater save you money on your energy bills?
"You could potentially save some money using an electric space heater by heating just one room while lowering the heat in the rest of your home," said Nanni.
Otherwise space heaters just add to your energy costs. As for the heat surge, "you can find many less expensive heaters with high performance."
Consumer reports recommends this $80 Delonghi Space Heater, which can be mounted on a wall.
If you do use a space heater, never leave it unattended. Check the cord to make sure it's not frayed. And keep the heater away from furniture, bedding, and curtains.
"If you really want to save some money, reduce temperatures five to 10 degrees at night and when you're away. You can save up to 20% on your heating bill and you can remain comfortable, in every room in your home," said Nanni.
energy, consumer, christine park
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD students improve nationally but still behind peers 9 min ago
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- FUSD students improve nationally but still...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos