Valley Verizon customers stand in line for the iPhone
FRESNO, Calif. -- Verizon is selling the iPhone 4, breaking the monopoly held by AT&T.
iPhone fans lined up outside Verizon stores across the country for today's iPhone launch. When doors opened around 7 a.m. about two dozen people were waiting outside the Verizon wireless store in north Fresno.
The Verizon iPhone is similar to the existing iPhone, but works on Verizon's network instead of AT&T, which has had exclusive rights since 2007.
The first customer in line says he arrived a couple hours before the store opened just to make sure he got an iPhone.
"I want the phone, need the phone... nothing better to do," said Tom Cunningham who was first in line.
The Verizon iPhone is also available at Apple stores, at Best Buy and on the retailer's websites. With a two-year contract, it costs $199 for the 16 gigabyte model and $299 for the 32 gigabyte model. The unlimited data plan costs $29.99.
AT&T has announced a plan that they hope will convince users to stay with them. Starting Thursday users will be able to sign up to get unlimited minutes when calling any mobile phone, regardless of the wireless carrier who you are calling. The "Unlimited Mobile to Any Mobile" plan will be free if users also sign up for unlimited text messaging services.
This plans cost $20-per-month for a single line and $30 a month for family plans.
apple, verizon, consumer, christine park
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident