Mileage Promises: 40 mpg Claims Accurate?
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- With the high cost of gas, no doubt car commercials that promise 40 miles per gallon are catching lots of people's attention. Before you hit the road for your next summer trip.
There are many TV commercials touting "40 miles per gallon" and even more.
The ads sure are attention getters, but Consumer Reports Auto Editor Rik Paul says the promises aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be. "The numbers in the ads are for highway driving only. The estimate for city driving is below 30 miles per gallon for most of these cars. So unless you drive mainly on the freeways, you're not going to see 40 miles per gallon."
And you often can't get the best mileage with the base model, either, something most ads bury in the fleeting fine print.
With the Ford Focus, you'll have to get the SE Sedan for more than $17,000 and add a $500 super fuel economy package. As for the Chevy Cruze, you'll need to buy the $18,000 Eco version that only comes with a manual transmission.
And the Honda Civic HF advertised goes for more than $20,000. That's $5,000 more than the base model.
"People think of these cars as relatively inexpensive. But to get the highest gas mileage, you'll likely have to pay more than you might want for an economy car," Paul said.
The Hyundai Elantra is a little different. It promises 40 miles per gallon for its base model, which starts at just $15,000.
"In our tests the Elantra got 39 miles per gallon on the highway, 29 overall. That's pretty good for this class, but it's not quite the promised 40 miles per gallon."
So the next time you hear a commercial touting 40 miles per gallon or more, take it with a grain of salt.
In Consumer Reports mileage tests, there are several cars that do deliver 40 miles per gallon on the highway, or even more. They're the Toyota's Yaris and Corolla, as well as the Mazda 3. But remember, that's just for highway driving. Overall mileage is considerably lower.
consumer, christine park
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained 16 min ago
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno 46 min ago
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- Accuweather Forecast
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos