Scam targets elderly Southeast Asian community
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A large-scale scam has hit the Central Valley. The scam targets elderly people in the Southeast Asian community.
Central California Legal Services is one of the local groups investigating the crime spree. CCLS officials say criminals are not only collecting money, but people's personal information as well. It's believed potentially hundreds of people throughout the Valley have been victimized.
For at least the past four weeks, investigators say scam artists have been targeting customers outside Central Fresno's Golden Bowl Market -- as well as the Golden Apple in Southeast Fresno.
Authorities say they look for elderly people and tell them one of two stories to obtain their financial and personal information. The first -- a wealthy woman who recently passed away wants to donate money to the Southeast Asian community. And the second -- they are eligible for a special tax refund.
Chris Schneider-Central California Legal Services said, "And, if they fill out that form, they'll get back 800 dollars, but they'll have to pay up front anywhere between 60 to 100 dollars, and they'll have to pay some money once the check comes in."
Victims say the criminals are also visiting their homes and apartment complexes. Bao Thao, who works with Central California Legal Services, says one of her family members fell for the scam.
Bao Thao said, "She wanted the rebate, or so that they say and they came over to her house and so they were able to get not just her, but the other people in the complex as well."
Another twist to this scam -- a select number of people are actually getting money back -- in order to make the scam look legitimate.
Some criminals are even claiming to be employees of Fresno Interdenominational Refugee Ministries -- a group designed to help the Southeast Asian community.
Rev. Dr. Sharon Stanley-F.I.R.M. said, "I wanna be very clear, they are absolutely not our staff members, but we are concerned as refugee organizations for the defamation, as well as concern for the individuals themselves."
Action News has learned that the IRS is investigating.
scams, france, fresno county, central valley, crimetracker, consumer, shannon handy
- Woman killed in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 18 min ago
- Man shot in upper torso in Parlier; 1 person detained 57 min ago
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno 11 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 50 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes