PG&E to raise rates on low income households
FRESNO, Calif. -- In just a few days some PG&E customers will see an increase in their bill. The California Alternate Rates for Energy program, also known as the CARE program is designed to help the people who are hit hardest by the economy.
The rates will not affect the majority of customers, but those we talked to say an increase, however small, is a big deal to their families.
Gabriel Gonzales is a PG&E customer who is also enrolled in the company's CARE program. Gonzales says the program makes a huge difference for his family. He says, "It helps with clothing my children and providing the heat and air conditioner we need and making a car payment." Gonzales has not worked since he was diagnosed with cancer.
Starting November 1st, a portion of the utility company's customers will see an increase in their bill. Company spokesperson Denny Boyles says, "Based on our analysis 75 percent of the customers in the program will see no increase on their bill or a very slight increase of five dollars on their bill." Boyles says the change will only affect the highest energy users. He says the hike is designed to motivate people to watch their energy use.
PG&E says about 3% of their customers will see an increase above $20 a month.
pg&e, consumer, mariana jacob
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors 6 min ago
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe 12 min ago
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Teen kicked in head taking selfie in front...
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide 5 min ago
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos