Financial fitness class offered to families
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It's never too early to teach your children financial lessons, which is why Clearpoint Credit Counseling in Fresno has set up a financial fitness class for families.
Families will not only learn important savings and spending strategies, but they can also earn money while they participate.
Like many grandmas, Donna Maddox of Clovis admits she spoils her grandchildren a little, but she says she doesn't want to indulge them.
Maddox says, "With the economy the way it is, I think every child should learn the value of a dollar and where it comes from, and not just handed it."
But Maddox's 11 year old granddaughter, Haley Patterson, says if she needs money her parents give her some.
Says Haley, "they don't think we should have to worry about it."
The folks at Clearpoint Counseling say kids don't necessarily need to worry about money, but they should know how to handle it.
With a grant from Chase Bank, Clearpoint is starting what's called "family financial fitness"
Financial specialist Maria Rodriguez says, "it is important to educate them to the fact that income can only go so far and what are some of the things that are going to be covered with income, but more important than that, savings, and how savings relate to the goals that they set up for themselves."
Maria Rodriguez and other financial counselors will meet with families every six months over a three year period to help guide them in their money matters. Families with kids in kindergarten through the eighth grade are eligible to participate.
Those who complete all the steps in the family financial fitness program will earn $25 per family member - a pretty good incentive to come to class.
clovis, fresno county, consumer, liz harrison
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case