Go-to kitchen gadgets
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- You could spend hundreds of dollars on kitchen gadgets.
How about a crinkle cutter for veggies or goggles for cutting onions? When it comes to cooking, it's a lot easier to get the job done when you have the right tools. And it can be downright disappointing when something doesn't work.
Consumer Reports asked its Facebook fans which kitchen gadgets they rely on and then the list was narrowed down and testers check them out. The list of essentials included can openers, graters garlic presses, and peelers.
Sensory panelists tried out traditional versions of these handy helpers along with ones that offer a twist. But, new-fangled doesn't necessarily mean "improved." More often than not testers preferred tried-and-true designs. And some of the gadgets were just plain awkward.
For example, the Joseph Joseph collapsible cheese grater doesn't lock. And the squeeze grater wasn't a favorite either. A better option is the Oxo Good Grips Box Grater for $18. And it even has a compartment with measurement markings for your grated cheese.
The Oxo Good Grips garlic press for $16 has a large chamber and a big plus is a built-in cleaner. And the $20 Oxo Magnetic Locking Can Opener was a lock with its cushioned grip and magnetic arm that keeps the lid from falling into the can.
As for peelers, Consumer Reports recommends the Kyocera ceramic peeler for $18. It has a comfortable handle and an adjustable blade that works well whether the chef is a righty or lefty.
consumer, christine park
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos