Best water filters
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Whether you use a water filter for cleaner water or tastier water, you have lots of options. But Consumer Reports' latest tests show that some filters are clearly better than others.
Consumer Reports tested more than 40 water filters, including ones for under the sink or on the counter, as well as faucet-mount, reverse osmosis, and carafes.
Testers run water that has been spiked with lead and harmful organics through the filters. They then analyze samples to see how well each filter removes the contaminants. Sensory experts also evaluate the water for taste.
Reverse osmosis filters remove the widest range of contaminants, including arsenic. But for every gallon of water they filter, they waste 3 to 5 gallons! And they can cost more than $1,000. The tests found that you could spend far less and still get cleaner, better-tasting water.
The top-rated Culligan faucet-mount model is a Consumer Reports Best Buy, for only $15. It installs in a snap and scored excellent at removing lead and other contaminants. But the slow flow rate can be frustrating. You also get cleaner water from the $15 Clear 2-O pitcher. You have to hook the attached hose to your faucet, but it filters water quickly. Either will quench your thirst for clean, tasty water.
Conspicuously absent in Consumer Reports' ratings of carafes are models from Brita. Brita, which calls itself "the No. 1 brand in water filtration," no longer claims that its carafes remove lead, which is a key consideration in Consumer Reports' tests.
consumer, christine park
- Photos: 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another