Closer look at drug coupons
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Health insurance companies are charging higher and higher co-pays for prescription medications.
Some co-pays now top $90 a month. That makes coupons from drug manufacturers enticing. Almost 19 million people who regularly take medication used a drug coupon last year, according to a Consumer Reports survey.
But Consumer Reports says just because a brand-name drug is available with a coupon doesn't mean it's your least expensive option. Generics may be available that are equally effective and cost far less. And insurance co-pays for generics are often much lower- sometimes one-tenth the cost.
Then there's Lipitor, whose money-saving offer is being heavily advertised. For people already taking Lipitor, Consumer Reports says its $4 co-pay card can be a real money-saver, at least for now. There is a generic for Lipitor, but at this point it's just about as expensive. So if you qualify for the $4 Lipitor program, it's a good deal. But as with many drug coupons, you don't qualify if you're on Medicaid, Medicare, or other federal or state health care programs.
For people without insurance, it is possible to use many drug coupons. But you're still going to pay a lot of money out of pocket.
Consumer Reports says that the best way to save on prescriptions is to see whether your doctor can prescribe a less expensive medicine. And look for discounts on many generic prescription drugs at Target, Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, RiteAid, and other big retailers and supermarkets.
consumer, christine park
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Valley thieves steal packages from front doors
- Accuweather Forecast
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos