Gas stations sell gas for less than $4/gallon
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The price of gas dropped about 4 cents over the last week, with the average cost for a gallon of regular unleaded now at $4.17. That's about 8 cents less than last month, when prices were averaging $4.24.
A gas station in Southeast Fresno is just one of several now offering gas below $4 a gallon. There, it's been busy over the past few days as word spread. "My aunt told me about this place. She said it was under $4 a gallon and I couldn't believe it!" said Robert Sanchez of Fresno.
Sanchez just bought his car a month and a half ago. As a new father, he's doing whatever he can to save money -- even giving up smoking. "I had to give up something. It wasn't going to be the coffee!" said Sanchez.
While gas prices are still well above $4 a gallon in some Valley spots, people are taking note of the latest drop. On fresnogasprices.com Monday, users reported at least 10 gas stations selling fuel for less than $4 a gallon. "Last month, I put in almost $500 worth of gas, with the prices being over $4 a gallon. So I get to actually have fun now... go fishing when I want!" said Robert Johnson of Fresno.
But what remains to be seen is how long the prices will continue to drop and if they'll creep back up again. Patrick DeHaan with gasbuddy.com said things seemed to have calmed down since an earlier refinery fire drove up prices. "Prices typically peak in late April or early May, but with that refinery fire in Washington, everything seemingly took a bump in terms of a timeline," said DeHaan.
While drivers have no choice but to wait it out and search for cheap gas, businesses like U-Save Gasoline are also playing the game. There, managers check out online websites to make sure they're offering the lowest price. "I always watch it so I can put my price down. It makes a big difference," said Jitinder Singh Banwait.
consumer, amanda perez
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed 33 min ago
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case