Top toilet paper
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Consumer Reports sized up 25 different toilet papers.
Testers check for strength, measuring how much force is needed to break through multiple sheets of toilet paper. They also assess how well toilet paper tears along its perforations.
Scott's innovative tube-free roll - designed to eliminate cardboard waste - was one of several that were hard to tear.
Another test, designed to determine how well a toilet paper breaks down, because nobody wants toilet paper clogging the plumbing. The best toilet paper disintegrated in seconds. But Charmin's Ultra Strong took the longest, more than a minute to break down.
And who wants a scratchy toilet paper? In a temperature-and-humidity-controlled room, Consumer Reports sensory panelists size up the softness.
White Cloud 3-ply Ultra from Walmart topped the charts. It scored excellent for softness. It's strong, and it breaks down quickly.
Not a Walmart shopper? Quilted Northern Ultra Plush came in second in Consumer Reports' tests. It proved easy to tear and was very soft.
As for the eco-friendly toilet papers, none was great. But if living green is a priority, Consumer Reports says try Seventh Generation toilet paper. While it's not super-strong, it rated very good for softness and excellent for disintegration.
consumer, christine park
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos