Best on-the-go egg sandwich
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More and more fast-food restaurants are getting into the breakfast game. But here's a health warning: Some choices can load you up with a day's worth of fat and sodium! Consumer Reports just tested fast-food egg sandwiches to see whether you can really "Start your morning off right," as Dunkin' Donuts suggests, or "Wake up to deliciousness" at McDonald's.
In all, Consumer Reports graded the nutrition of 106 egg sandwiches, sold by fast-food restaurants like Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's, Starbucks', and Subway. As far as nutrition goes, just six of the 106 sandwiches rated very good.
What about taste? Consumer Reports' trained taste-testers went undercover to at least three different locations of each chain, tasting some of the more nutritious sandwiches.
Starbucks' Turkey Bacon and White Cheddar Classic Breakfast Sandwich is just so-so. The egg is a little low in flavor, and the bacon is salty and smoky, without much meat flavor.
Equally marginal is Dunkin' Donuts Egg White Turkey Sausage Wake-Up Wrap. Testers described it as teeny-tiny, with eggs that are not flavorful.
So, which morning pit stop will get you a tasty, nutritious egg sandwich? Subway! Its Egg White and Cheese on Flatbread is the only sandwich Consumer Reports rated very good for taste. Testers found the egg whites flavorful and the toasted flatbread tender.
It's worth noting that with all the sandwiches, the quality varied from location to location. And, Consumer Reports says, don't let your egg sandwich sit for long because as the sandwich cools, so does the taste.
Consumer Reports says a couple of moves can help make a fast-food breakfast sandwich more nutritious. Substitute egg whites for whole eggs when you can, or leave off the cheese or meat.
Also, if sandwiches come in different sizes, opt for the smaller one. That helps trim the calories, fat, and sodium that can be real diet-busters with these sandwiches.
consumer, christine park
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals