Best on-the-go egg sandwich
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More and more fast-food restaurants are getting into the breakfast game. But here's a health warning: Some choices can load you up with a day's worth of fat and sodium! Consumer Reports just tested fast-food egg sandwiches to see whether you can really "Start your morning off right," as Dunkin' Donuts suggests, or "Wake up to deliciousness" at McDonald's.
In all, Consumer Reports graded the nutrition of 106 egg sandwiches, sold by fast-food restaurants like Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's, Starbucks', and Subway. As far as nutrition goes, just six of the 106 sandwiches rated very good.
What about taste? Consumer Reports' trained taste-testers went undercover to at least three different locations of each chain, tasting some of the more nutritious sandwiches.
Starbucks' Turkey Bacon and White Cheddar Classic Breakfast Sandwich is just so-so. The egg is a little low in flavor, and the bacon is salty and smoky, without much meat flavor.
Equally marginal is Dunkin' Donuts Egg White Turkey Sausage Wake-Up Wrap. Testers described it as teeny-tiny, with eggs that are not flavorful.
So, which morning pit stop will get you a tasty, nutritious egg sandwich? Subway! Its Egg White and Cheese on Flatbread is the only sandwich Consumer Reports rated very good for taste. Testers found the egg whites flavorful and the toasted flatbread tender.
It's worth noting that with all the sandwiches, the quality varied from location to location. And, Consumer Reports says, don't let your egg sandwich sit for long because as the sandwich cools, so does the taste.
Consumer Reports says a couple of moves can help make a fast-food breakfast sandwich more nutritious. Substitute egg whites for whole eggs when you can, or leave off the cheese or meat.
Also, if sandwiches come in different sizes, opt for the smaller one. That helps trim the calories, fat, and sodium that can be real diet-busters with these sandwiches.
consumer, christine park
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos