Stock up on quick & healthy foods
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Supermarkets are catering more and more to people who want in-a-hurry food that's good for you, too. Consumer Reports ShopSmart headed to the store to find nutritious, hassle-free foods for quick meals and easy snacking.
Go for convenience! Sure, it may cost a bit more, but with everyone so time-pressed and overscheduled these days, sometimes it's your best bet for eating healthy. Want to cook fast and eat well? ShopSmart followed nutritional guidelines and came up with a list of the healthiest convenience foods.
It includes snacks such as Mini Babybel Light Cheese. They're easy to toss in your purse and deliver lots of calcium and 6 grams of protein, with only 50 calories.
Craving a crunch? Try Pirate's Booty Aged White Cheddar rice and corn puffs. They satisfy, with 130 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving.
Melissa's Edamame Shelled Soybeans pack 9 grams of protein into snack time. Or toss them with pasta for a simple supper.
A bag of Perdue Simply Smart Original Grilled Chicken Strips can set you back several dollars more than grilling a chicken. But pair those heat-and-eat strips with some fresh vegetables, and you've got a healthy dinner in no time.
A box of Doctor Praeger's Tex Mex Veggie Burgers in your freezer is another quick way to get vegetables, fiber, and vitamins. Just add lettuce and a slice of tomato, and you're good to go in a snap!
Adding your own ingredients, such as pasta and fresh vegetables, is a great way to jazz up prepared foods, and it's a smart way to balance your meals.
Stocking up on smart choices go a long way to keeping your fast-fix foods healthy.
consumer, christine park
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos