Falling Gasoline prices have drivers excited
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno drivers have reason to be excited. Gasoline prices have fallen in the last week.
This time last month the average cost for regular unleaded in the Fresno area was $4.25 a gallon.
A week ago prices were still close to $4.00 a gallon, but significantly lower. Monday the average had dipped to $3.80 a gallon. That's a 45 cent drop in one month. But the recent drop also impacts the city of Fresno.
City leaders set aside $700 thousand in last year's budget to allow some flexibility when prices change. But with the recent drop, city leaders say they have some savings in the bank, next year.
Fresno City Manager Mark Scott said, "Like any consumer, when the prices go up they affect us but so much of what we do is transportation oriented with police cars, fire trucks, and public works vehicles and buses, we are just a very heavy user of fuel."
The city is able to buy gas at about 20 cents cheaper a gallon than the public.
gas prices, consumer, mariana jacob
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe