Falling Gasoline prices have drivers excited
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno drivers have reason to be excited. Gasoline prices have fallen in the last week.
This time last month the average cost for regular unleaded in the Fresno area was $4.25 a gallon.
A week ago prices were still close to $4.00 a gallon, but significantly lower. Monday the average had dipped to $3.80 a gallon. That's a 45 cent drop in one month. But the recent drop also impacts the city of Fresno.
City leaders set aside $700 thousand in last year's budget to allow some flexibility when prices change. But with the recent drop, city leaders say they have some savings in the bank, next year.
Fresno City Manager Mark Scott said, "Like any consumer, when the prices go up they affect us but so much of what we do is transportation oriented with police cars, fire trucks, and public works vehicles and buses, we are just a very heavy user of fuel."
The city is able to buy gas at about 20 cents cheaper a gallon than the public.
gas prices, consumer, mariana jacob
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos