Tastiest pasta sauces
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nothing compares to homemade tomato sauce, but few of us have the time to make our own.
The choices in the store seem endless--but are there sauces that really taste like homemade? Consumer Reports just tested 20 to find out. They included big names like Barilla, Bertolli, Francesco Rinaldi, Prego, and Ragu, plus two celebrity-chef sauces from Giada De Laurentiis and Mario Batali. Also in the taste tests were two store brands from Walmart and Whole Foods.
An excellent sauce should have the flavor of ripe tomatoes. It should have a freshly prepared impression, and the flavors should be balanced.
Test results were mixed. Hunt's Traditional, the least expensive sauce, was the least tasty. It had a sourness to it as well as a soapy, perfumey off-note.
And Whole Foods' 365 Everyday Value Classic Marinara Pasta Sauce wasn't much better. But don't despair!
The top sauces tasted freshly prepared and could pass for homemade. One of the best at a good price was Giada De Laurentiis' Tomato Basil Sauce from Target. It's excellent. It's well balanced, tastes very fresh, and has a buttery richness.
If you don't have a Target near you, two other marinara sauces rated excellent from Victoria and Mario Batali.
Consumer Reports says don't assume that all sauces by a particular manufacturer will taste just as good - or bad. Bertolli's tomato and basil sauce is very good, but its marinara sauce rated lower, with a somewhat sour taste.
consumer, christine park
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Sal's prepares holiday tamales
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos