Long-lasting deck stains
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Decks are a wonderful place to relax, but keeping them looking good is a real challenge.
Consumer Reports is running long-term tests on more than 30 deck stains to see how well they hold up. The stained panels stay out on Consumer Reports' rooftop for years, in all kinds of weather.
Some are solid stains that look the most like paint. Others are semi-transparent. And a third type, clear sealers, shows the most wood grain. They need the most maintenance; even the best need to be reapplied every year.
Other panels are left out in the shade to see how well they resist dirt and mildew. Again the clear sealers did the worst. Semi-transparent stains do better. They generally need to be redone every two years. Solid stains last the longest. Most last at least three years.
One by Behr was by far the longest-lasting. It's the Solid Color Deck, Fence & Siding Wood Stain from Home Depot. Even after three years of testing, it still looks pretty good.
If you prefer a semi-transparent stain, Consumer Reports recommends another one from Home Depot - Behr Premium Semi-Transparent Weatherproofing Wood Stain.
consumer, christine park
- Fresno State's new president has been selected
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Two Fresno State students share their stories from Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Xbox One to go on sale in late 2013
- 2016 Super Bowl to be played in 49ers' new stadium
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma tornado
- Mysterious illness kills 2 in southeast Alabama
- Merced Co. may allow fireworks in unincorporated areas
- FUSD gives lessons on eating healthy
- Standoff ends peacefully in Central Fresno
- Jodi Arias asks for life in prison