Long-lasting deck stains
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Decks are a wonderful place to relax, but keeping them looking good is a real challenge.
Consumer Reports is running long-term tests on more than 30 deck stains to see how well they hold up. The stained panels stay out on Consumer Reports' rooftop for years, in all kinds of weather.
Some are solid stains that look the most like paint. Others are semi-transparent. And a third type, clear sealers, shows the most wood grain. They need the most maintenance; even the best need to be reapplied every year.
Other panels are left out in the shade to see how well they resist dirt and mildew. Again the clear sealers did the worst. Semi-transparent stains do better. They generally need to be redone every two years. Solid stains last the longest. Most last at least three years.
One by Behr was by far the longest-lasting. It's the Solid Color Deck, Fence & Siding Wood Stain from Home Depot. Even after three years of testing, it still looks pretty good.
If you prefer a semi-transparent stain, Consumer Reports recommends another one from Home Depot - Behr Premium Semi-Transparent Weatherproofing Wood Stain.
consumer, christine park
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices...
31 min ago