Improved dishwasher detergents
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Choosing a dishwasher detergent used to be simple.
But after manufacturers removed polluting phosphates two years ago, some detergents left a white film on glassware and discolored aluminum. The situation appears to be improving. Consumer Reports tested more than a dozen dishwasher detergents and did not detect the problem.
Another test checks to see how well the detergents clean away food. A messy mix of 17 ingredients, including peanut butter and eggs, is applied to plates, then baked on. Testers also coat pots with macaroni and cheese and bake it on.
Some of the worst performing detergents left food on the plates. The lowest-rated detergent: Green Mission Organic Dishwasher Gel from Whole Foods.
But Cascade Complete with Dawn ActionPacs was a clear standout. And Great Value Powder Pacs from Walmart was close behind and costs far less. Both do a very good job cleaning dishes, and they don't leave a filmy buildup.
In addition to choosing a good detergent, Consumer Reports says there are a number of things you can do to get your dishes cleaner, including using a rinse agent, facing the dirty side of the dishes toward the water jets, and separating your flatware.
consumer, christine park
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels